Oh yes…its blackberry season and time for a Blackberry Apple Pie! I decided to finally break out the old rolling pin and combine 2 of my all time favorite pie flavors. Holy yum…I highly recommend trying this flavor combination next time you get your hands on some fresh blackberries!
My In-Laws brought me a big bowl of blackberries over the weekend. A few thoughts immediately came to mind; yuuuuuum, cocktail time, blackberry cobbler time! Upon further reflection, I came to the heart-breaking realization that there just wouldn’t be quite enough for cocktails and cobblers (ugggh). Then, I thought why not add some apples to them and have enough leftover for COCKTAILS (sigh of complete and utter bliss). This may be more exciting than watching “50 Shades of Grey” on demand. Ha…it wouldn’t take much (horribly disappointing with zero on-screen chemistry and yet I’m still watching it).
So, it has been soooo long since I last made a pie from scratch! I’m thinking it has been a good 10 years (despite an intense pie-making phase during my teen years). I usually avoid it like the plague due to the mess involved with rolling out pie crust. However, it really wasn’t too bad this time. Its definitely worth the extra bit of effort over using the store bought crust. A few cut- outs, hints of cinnamon, and a dusting of sugar really make this a happy little crust indeed.
I just realized that the last month or so, has been a plethora of dessert and cocktail posts. Although, I’m still feeling extremely brunchie. Hmmm…the heat has me addicted to cold cocktails and sugar! Yikes, I’m going to have to squat my way through this movie marathon.
Thanks goodness for Friday…that means we are only one day from Saturated Saturday. AKA, an excuse to drink a couple (5) cocktails! Be sure to visit my Saturated Saturday page for cocktail inspiration; including Blackberry Mint Juleps (just save a handful when you make the pie).
- 3 C. Blackberries
- 3 C. Granny Smith Apples; thinly sliced and peeled
- ½ C. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 2¼ C. Flour
- ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- ¾ C. Butter; cut into slices
- ⅓ C. Ice Water
- Crust Topping:
- 1 Egg White; beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- Prepare Pie Crust:
- In a bowl; combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Add water a couple of Tbsp. at a time and kneed mixture with fingers until moist enough to form a ball.
- Separate dough into 2 even-sized balls.
- Roll out dough on a clean, floured surface until large enough to cover entire pie pan.
- Line bottom of a 9" pie pan with one of pie crusts.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and corn starch.
- Add apple slices and blackberries to a large bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Sprinkle fruit with the brown sugar mixture and gently stir in.
- Add fruit mixture to the pie crust.
- Seal with the remaining pie crust.
- Cut several slits into the top of the pie crust or use cut-outs.
- Brush top of crust with egg white and sprinkle with a dusting of sugar.
- Seal edges of crust with aluminum foil to avoid burning.
- Bake at 375 degrees for around 45-50 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned. Remove foil during last 10 minutes of baking.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.