These Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping are sure to spoil your taste buds for breakfast and are decadent enough to serve at your next brunch. Hints of lemon are harmoniously blended with the taste of fresh blueberry and topped with a crumb topping for a welcomed crunchy addition. This is just a case of pure bliss in every bite!
Blueberry muffins definitely seem to be the go-to muffin of choice for most people. I am also a huge fan of lemon poppy seed muffins (or pancakes for that matter), so I thought that adding a bit of the lemon flavor to my blueberry muffins would be a welcome addition to a classic. Oh holy yum…these were everything I could ever have asked for! I even added hints of lemon to the glaze topping to increase the YUM factor going on here.
Hope you had a great 4th of July weekend! My celebration included a little BBQ and some Red, White and Blue Pina Coladas. I spent my time worrying about the hidden dangers of being blown up by fireworks or catching the house on fire. Oh man…my focus should have been on warding off pesky mosquitos! I seriously look like I have the chicken pox…several bites are even on my face. No, I am not going through puberty again in my 30’s. Anyway, trimming bushes while watching the neighbors shoot off fireworks in the dark is a dangerous combination. My brother kept referring to me as “Mommie Dearest” (see Joan Crawford movie with an affliction for trimming bushes in the dark)…LOL!
Don’t forget about the importance of a good cocktail when entertaining for brunch. I highly recommend my Pineapple Orange Creamsicle Mimosas…sooo good! Be sure to visit my Saturated Saturday Page for more great cocktail ideas seen below.
- 1¾ C. Flour
- ¾ C. Sugar
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp. Lemon Zest
- ½ Tsp. Lemon Extract
- 1 Egg
- 1 C. 2% Milk
- 1¼ C. Fresh Blueberries
- Crumb Topping:
- ¼ C. Flour
- 4 Tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ Tsp. Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. Butter; melted
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1 C. Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- ½ Tsp. Lemon Zest
- ½ Tsp. Lemon Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line around 16 muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl; combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Beat in milk, egg and lemon extract until smooth.
- Carefully stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Spoon batter into cupcake tins until around ⅔ full.
- Prepare crumb topping:
- In a small bowl; combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
- Add more butter or flour if necessary until mixture has a crumb texture.
- Sprinkle crumbs over muffin tops.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool completely.
- Prepare Lemon Glaze:
- Beat together powdered sugar, milk, lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Drizzle glaze over the tops of each muffin using a teaspoon.
- Allow glaze to harden for several minutes before serving.