A good Tex-Mex Layered Dip is so necessary for holiday entertainment! Its super easy to throw together without having to use up that coveted stove and oven space. Fresh avocado, bean dip, and a seasoned sour cream mixture form the base with plenty of tomatoes, olives and a generous sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese. Serve it chilled with your favorite tortilla chips or raw veggies and watch it disappear!
My mom has been making a variation of this recipe for years…back when they were actually on little index cards. The age of the internet is perfect for those of us who are organizationally challenged. However, there is something to be said for the excitement of finally locating that torn, yellow piece of paper with food stains in a pile of chaos. I made a few slight modifications to make it to my taste…more cheese please.
I even borrowed my mom’s pretty silver platter to make it worthy of a New Year’s celebration. Plenty of silver and gold sparkle is always in order to bring in the new year. Now, you just have to break out your champagne flutes and bedazzled wardrobe for a festive evening indeed. Even if it only involves sitting at home with little kiddos and playing Hungry, Hungry, Hippos and Pop! the Pig. So much fun to be had folks…pass the martini (or 3)!
I’m really starting to panic here! We are moving in a few weeks to an apartment while our new house is being built. I’m really nervous that my girls aren’t ever going to go to sleep while sharing a bedroom. My 2 year old sleeps in front of her door on the floor so she can yell at us under the crack until falling asleep. This is probably a recipe for disaster for my daughter who actually sleeps at night. Yikes…pass the martini!
I seem to have martinis on the brain today, so its time to remind everyone to add a good drink recipe to their entertaining arsenal. A Salted Caramel Chocolate Martini or Caramel Creme Brulee White Russian are sure to please with plenty of vodka and creamy goodness. Check out my Saturated Saturday page for all of my favorite cocktail recipes.
- 3 Ripe Avocados
- 2½ Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 cans of Frito Black Bean dip
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- ½ Tsp. Pepper
- ⅓ C. Mayonnaise
- 1 C. Sour Cream
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 3.8 Oz. can of sliced Black Olives
- 2 medium tomatoes; diced
- 8 oz. package of shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Garnishment: 2 tsp. freshly chopped chives
- Peel avocados, remove seeds and mash with a fork in a small bowl. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl; stir together mayonnaise, sour cream and taco seasoning; set aside.
- In a large serving tray; spread bean dip evenly in the bottom.
- Top with layer of avocado and spread.
- Top with layer of sour cream mixture and spread.
- Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese.
- Top with tomatoes, black olives and remainder of cheese.
- Sprinkle top with freshly chopped chives.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and raw veggies.