This Glazed Salmon with Mandarin Orange Avocado Salsa is the perfect way to sneak in a some super foods with so many great flavors. An avocado salsa with mandarin oranges and chopped almonds provides the perfect topping on a salmon with an orange balsamic glaze. Have this healthy meal on your table in under 30 minutes!
I’m a huge fan of salmon and it just happens to be super healthy for you with Omega-3’s. It surprises me that a lot of people that I talk to just don’t like it. I’m thinking that they just haven’t had it like this before! You can maintain healthiness by lightly sauteing it in a couple of teaspoons of olive oil in a nonstick pan. This gives you the perfect flaky texture with a slightly crispy outside….so good. The right toppings, sauces and seasonings make this recipe enjoyable even for the salmon doubters.
I love a good balsamic glaze and thought that using some of the juices from the mandarin oranges would give it a great flavor boost to go with the delicious avocado salsa. Chopped nuts add a welcome crunchy texture to the mix. You could also use walnuts in place of the almonds for another dose of super food delight.
I’ve been trying to eat more avocados lately due to the health benefits and great taste! They are just so good on a variety of foods and transform a sandwich from zero to hero. I think they could even add nutrients to a great cocktail recipe…stay tuned for that kind of wackiness.
If you’re looking for more great seafood recipes for lent, be sure to try out these Scallops in Brandy Mushroom Cream Sauce or Coconut Lime Shrimp and Grits. I’m officially starving and need a plate of this like now…do you think my 5 year old can make it for me? Why not, she has already mastered cutting her own hair. Luckily, mullets just never go out of style!
- 4 Salmon Fillets; skins removed
- 1 Ripened Avocado; cut into large chunks
- ⅓ C. Red Onion; cut into thin chunks
- Fresh Cilantro (around ¼ C. leaves roughly chopped)
- 11 Oz. can Mandarin Oranges
- 2 Limes; quartered
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp. Oregano
- ¼ C. Whole Almonds or Walnuts; roughly chopped
- ⅓ C. Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ C. Brown Sugar
- ½ C. Reserved Mandarin Orange Juice
- Prepare Avocado Salsa:
- Drain Mandarin Oranges; reserving ½ C. of the juice.
- In a medium bowl; add around half the can of Mandarin Oranges, avocado, onion, almonds, and around 3 Tbsp. of Freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
- Lightly salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lime slices over the top and lightly stir until combined.
- Prepare Salmon:
- Salt and Pepper both sides of the salmon.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder and oregano.
- Rub spices over both sides of the salmon.
- Heat 2 Tsp. of olive oil to Medium/High heat in a nonstick skillet.
- Place salmon in the skillet and cook around 4 minutes per side.
- Remove salmon from skillet and wipe clean with paper towels.
- On Medium/High heat; add Mandarin Orange juice, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar.
- Bring to a low boil; whisking frequently until mixture reduced by about half.
- Allow to cool slightly and thicken.
- Plate the Salmon:
- Add salmon to a plate, drizzle with glaze, top with Salsa and more glaze. Sprinkle fresh cilantro on top and serve with a slice of lime.