These Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts are baked with pumpkin puree, buttermilk, and pumpkin spice for a perfectly moist cake doughnut. They get topped with homemade cream cheese icing and sprinkles for a festive breakfast or dessert treat.
I love the texture of these, they are a bit more moist than the usual cake doughnut which makes day old doughnuts so much better. Seriously, have you ever bought a doughnut from the grocery store late at night…I’m barely able to swallow the dryness! These were almost as good the next day.
These pumpkin spice flavors just scream fall perfection. Plenty of cream cheese icing creates the perfect medley of flavors! For reduced fat, you could also omit the icing and add a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar to the tops before baking…yumma, yumma.
These are SO easy to make, especially with adding the batter to a plastic baggie (unless your kids want to help). Then, the batter will probably end up everywhere, but in your doughnut tins! I think my daughter was eating the sprinkles faster than applying them to the doughnuts! I have several shots of her eating the bowl of sprinkles in the background…total photo bomb girl. We just love sprinkles around here and apparently, they make great carpet fertilizer. Sadly, letting my daughter add the sprinkles proved to be much lower risk than having her help with the batter.
If you are looking for more pumpkin inspiration, be sure to check out some of my other fall favorites including Slow Cooker Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal, Pumpkin Amaretto Creme Brulee and Spiked Pumpkin Lattes. Visit my Saturated Saturday Page for more fall cocktail ideas guaranteed to keep you warm.
- 1 1/14 C. Flour
- ⅔ C. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- ¾ C. Canned Pumpkin
- 2 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2½ Tbsp. Melted Butter
- 1 C. Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. Butter; softened
- ½ Tsp. Vanilla
- 3 C. Confectioners Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray doughnut tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, pumpkin, buttermilk, melted butter, pumpkin spice and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
- Place batter in a large plastic baggie.
- Cut a small slit in one corner of the plastic bag to pipe your batter into the doughnut tins.
- Fill doughnut tins around ⅔ full of batter for a thicker doughnut.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until tops have lightly browned.
- Remove from tin and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Prepare Icing:
- Beat together butter, cream cheese, vanilla and confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Spread desired amount over the tops of each doughnut.
- Add sprinkles to the tops if desired.