Talk about ooey gooey goodness!!! You won’t believe how easy and delicious this Caramel Apple Poke Cake is. Bring on the layers…apple pie filling, white cake mix, caramel sundae topping, butterscotch pudding icing and pecan bits. I am really making myself hungry right now…must break from writing to go have a slice.
Okay, I have been OBSESSED with poke cakes ever since I had my first decadent slice of Better Than Sex Cake. Something magical happens to the basic cake when you poke it and dump in your favorite saucy flavors. Oh how the cakey possibilities are endless! I am also a huge fan of pudding/whipped cream icings. They are so much lighter and not as hurt-your-mouth sweet as buttercream icing.
I must really be ready for fall this year with my current obsession with all things apple…which is super weird for me (I hate the winter). Ugh…too bad the best season is followed by the worst! Well, I am so ready to ditch my summer clothes right now. Bring out the boots (ideal for someone who doesn’t have time to get regular pedicures). If you are in an apple kind of mood like me, you should also check out my Apple Pie Martini. My goal seems to be to recreate all my favorite desserts into alcoholic beverages (best of both worlds)!
- Box of White Cake Mix
- 2 20 oz. Cans Apple Pie Filling
- 1 Jar Caramel Sundae Sauce
- ⅓ C. Instant Butterscotch Pudding Mix
- 1 12 oz. Cool Whip
- ½ C. Pecan Bits
- Spray a 13x9 Cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread both cans of Apple Pie filling into the bottom of the pan.
- Prepare White Cake mix according to package instructions. I recommend always substituting the water for milk.
- Pour prepared cake mix over the apple pie filling.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for around 30 minutes.
- Beware that a toothpick will not come out cleanly when it is done baking due to the apples.
- Let cake cool and poke holes around every one inch of the cake using the back of a wooden cooking spoon.
- Pour the jar of caramel sauce evenly over the top of the cake.
- Prepare the Icing:
- In medium mixing bowl; add Butterscotch pudding and cool whip.
- Beat together until thoroughly combined.
- Spread icing over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with Pecan Bits.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.